Sunday, April 29, 2007

To the Country (and Grandma's House)

While Jenny made a trip to OKC last weekend to visit her college roommate, the kids and I skipped the city and headed to Grandma's house in Desert, TX. Desert, where I grew up, is nothing more than a couple dozen houses spread across the north Texas countryside, along with a Presbyterian church, a few herd of cattle, and a maze of dusty, white-rock roads. In the past couple years, a traffic light, convenience store and welding shop have been added to the landscape. I suppose it won't be long before Desert becomes engulfed in the ever-expanding suburban sprawl of the DFW area.

We had a great time outdoors, soaking in the sunlight, riding trikes, scooters, and four-wheelers, shooting hoops, hitting golf balls, swinging, sliding, and running. The kids saw dozens of different kinds of bugs--it was fun to see them marvel at the little things underfoot that rarely exist in the concrete jungle.

Being in Desert reminded me of the things I miss about the country. Open spaces, natural variety, simplicity, and life at a manageable pace. In the city, our lives are often overrun by a myriad of things that are small and insignificant compared to the more important things of life. But we're moving at such a frantic pace that we seldom take the time to realize it. More often than not I find myself engaging in things, trivial things, as if to keep my mind from fixating on the reality that this life, and the way I live it, are not what they are supposed to be or intended to be; a sort of holy discontent that forces me back into the fight to hold on to the things that matter and that leaves me feeling unfulfilled when I don't hold them close. Do you know what I mean? Probably not. My short stint in the country reminded me that few things are really worth the trouble; I have renewed my striving to focus more of my time and energy on those more important things.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I know what you mean. Mark and I have been trying to figure out ways to make our lives less busy! We are so busy that the things that really, truly matter get pushed out of the way.

tamandscott said...

Hey, Nations! I just found your blog through Jenna's. Nice to see pics of your sweet fam, and I am glad y'all are doing well!