Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Who's In Control? - Philippians 2:5-8

Philippians chapter two has been one of my favorite chapters in the Bible for as long as I can remember. Perhpas its the poetic way in which Paul communicates the gentle spirit of Christ that led him to the cross for us. There is great beauty in those words; there is hope and promise.
But there is also a challenge. Now, as an adult, I read in those words as much about myself as I do about Christ. "[My] attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus." What attitude is that? One of immense humility. What comes to mind when you think of humility? When I look at Christ (which Paul is telling us to do), I see him surrendering status, control, advantage, and privilege. Jesus put those things aside so that he could carry out the will of the Father.

I don't worry much about status, advantage, or privilege in my life. Maybe its because I've never had much of those things. Well, that's not entirely true. If I broaden my view beyond the country in which I live, I do realize there is tremendous advantage and privilege living in the US. That's not something I planned; it was a gift from my Father. Even so, I don't know that it would be too hard to give those things up. It would be more difficult to remove those things from my family than to surrender them for myself.

But control...that's a whole different animal. I took a "test" a few months ago in conjunction with a marriage seminar my wife and I attended. One of the things this test reveals is what "country" you are from--how you view yourself, interact with the world, etc. Guess what country I am from--Control. I like to know what's going to happen. I want to call the shots. I NEED to have a handle on things to feel secure and confident. I want to be in control.

But control doesn't play well with humility. When I'm in control, I don't consider others more important than myself. I am most important. When I'm in control, its not another's will that takes center stage, it is my own. To have the attidue of Christ--to be humble--I must give up control. God is calling me to let go and quit relying on my own strength. He wants me to lay back and rest in His. Intellectually, I know its the best way, but I struggle with that release.

Father, I know that control is just a myth. I know its a comfort I seek when I lack trust in you. Help me to surrender, to have the humility to let God and trust in what I cannot see. Thank you for Christ's willingness to set status, privilege, control, and advantage aside to rescue me. Day by day, help me to live more into the image you have of me--the image I was created in. Amen.

No comments: